Re: Sonels and Splash

Subject: Re: Sonels and Splash
From: "Dan Dugan" dandugan_1999
Date: Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:04 pm ((PDT))
> Thanks, David. Now I understand a "sonel" is a section of area on the per=
ceived lateral plane of a stereo image as identified by a sound it confines=
?

I don't think this is a useful concept, David. There is no physics by which=
 a stereo panorama is divided into discrete zones. What is experienced is v=
arious degrees of compression or expansion of the perceived image spacing i=
n different parts of the panorama, like optical pincushion or barrel distor=
tion.

Here's an AES paper comparing of some variations, "Unified theory of microp=
hone systems for stereophonic sound recording" by M. Williams, 1987, prepri=
nt no. 2466. I remember a great paper that compared the perceived geometry =
of different arrays like ORTF, XY, and Blumlein, but I can't find it--I do =
remember that ORTF won with the most accurate panorama.

-Dan