Re: R-44 issue

Subject: Re: R-44 issue
From: "Jez" tempjez
Date: Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:20 am ((PDT))
& to confuse things further:

I tried connecting the Rode Lavaliers & the Sanken - to test 'similar' mic =
designs to see if there was something in the powering or even the micon con=
nectors that could be causing it. They both work fine so its just the DPA !=

I've also noticed that the R-44, just with the DPA's, has a low hum that va=
nished when you touch any of the metal parts or the 'grounding terminal' (!=
). This seems really odd - as if the DPA's are somehow making the recorder =
'live' but I can't work out how it'd be doing that.

--- In  "Jez" <> wrote:

> ha ! :)
>
> I doubt it. I have a Sound Devices 7 series recorder as my main recorder =
& they don't do it with that. I have them both set up side by side.

> I can't see any reason why any of the settings on the R-44 would cause it=
 but if someone out there has one they perhaps have some ideas about quirks=
 of the recorder.

> --- In  Mark <gnmark@> wrote:
> >
> > warning!! pure pseudoscientific speculation alert!
> >
> > Could the DPA be acting as an antenna for rogue trasmissions? Maybe tak=
ing it in another setting away from a residential area might help.

> > Mark
> >

> > On Jun 21, 2012, at 10:27 PM, "Marc Myers" <mmyers@> wrote:
> >
> > > At the risk of once again wading into the realm of things you already=
 know, my guess is some of your microphones have more draw than others. Thi=
s was an issue with several of the early solid state consumer recorders. Th=
ey way underpowered the phantom circuit to preserve battery life. Had no ef=
fect on microphones that didn't require that much power but rendered others=
 noisy or useless.