Re: Simultaneous recording with two digital recorders?

Subject: Re: Simultaneous recording with two digital recorders?
From: "soundings23" soundings23
Date: Sat Jun 9, 2012 1:03 pm ((PDT))
Thanks Geoff ... very interesting. I think it comes back to how the recordi=
ng relates to the thing recorded, the subject of previous conversations. If=
 you want it to simulate how a pair of ears might experience it, then you'r=
e absolutely right, a single point stereo recording will approximate that. =
But are multiple perspectives "beyond nature" as you put it? That's an inte=
resting question.

cheers

--- In  Geoff Sample <> wrote:

> Hi Tony
>
> I followed the quiet thread but it left me somewhere in the aether. But t=
his is interesting. I've worked a lot on recording the sound of the sea on =
the coast here in Northumberland over the last 20 years, and for me the ide=
a that you NEED multiple input is a myth. No offence to Chris or Bernie.

> If you want to create something beyond nature, fine - multiple input poin=
ts can give you the raw material for heading off. Or if your objective is a=
 multi-channel installation, a mic array makes sense, whether to several re=
corders or a multi-track, though it leads you into other time/distance issu=
es.

> But we listen with two ears from a single point; so it makes sense if one=
 wants to record the nature of a place, as heard, to record from a single p=
oint, whether static or in motion through time. And personally, for me this=
 works better because of rhythm. From a single point you get the rhythm of =
wave and water flow: not just the major rhythm of the waves breaking, but a=
lso the undertow of sussuration on sand or shingle as the waves' fall-out r=
ecedes. Once you start  mixing it from different perspectives, you mush it =
up. Even if well synced up, the fine detail gets mushed. And I think the ex=
ample on Michael Gallagher's blog showed that. Rhythm was obscured.

> So from this point of view, the craft is a matter of listening and choosi=
ng the point where you feel the balance of distance and foreground feels go=
od. And I think this is where the art of soundscape recording resides. Pers=
pective - sorry for the visual metaphor.

> OK. Back to work.
> All the best, Geoff.
>
> Geoff Sample
> http://soundcloud.com/wildsong
>

> On 8 Jun 2012, at 22:32,  wrote:
>

> > _______________________________________________________________________=
> > _______________________________________________________________________=
> > 3a. Simultaneous recording with two digital recorders?
> >    Posted by: "soundings23"  soundings23
> >    Date: Fri Jun 8, 2012 7:35 am ((PDT))
> >
> > Hi All ... I currently use an Edirol R-09 for my recordings. But I've j=
ust picked up cheap secondhand Sony PCM M10.

> > I read that if you're recording soundcapes such as waves on a beach mul=
tiple recording points are recommended. (http://www.michaelgallagher.co.uk/=
archives/tag/chris-watson)

> > Has anyone had experience of recording on two independant digital recod=
ers, using say a handclap to provide a sync point, then mixing/layering the=
m together later.

> > Does this work?
> >
> > Will they stay in sync?
> >
> > Any recomendations on positioning in general?
> >
> > I could of course just go and experiment ... but its nice to perpare!
> >
> > cheers

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: