Re: beginner needs help with recording

Subject: Re: beginner needs help with recording
From: "DIANE"
Date: Fri Jun 8, 2012 3:41 pm ((PDT))
Hey John,
Thanks for the suggestion!
I put a sample on
soundcloud...http://soundcloud.com/diane-moser/a-hermit-thrush-at-monday
<http://soundcloud.com/diane-moser/a-hermit-thrush-at-monday>
I've managed to transcribe the hermit thrush calls...even thru the
hiss...but I would love to add it to a recording I'll be doing this
summer.
If you want to check out the "music" there...the tune entitled "Hello"
is based on the chickadee...http://soundcloud.com/diane-moser/01-hello
<http://soundcloud.com/diane-moser/01-hello>
Thanks!
Diane
--- In  "hartogj" <>
wrote:

> Hi Diane,
>
> The hiss in your recordings is probably mostly from the self-noise of
the microphone. However, many natural settings have a natural background
hiss - wind in the trees, water flowing nearby. Such sounds often appear
exaggerated in a recording.

> I have used that mic before, and for the most part I found it was only
good for recording very robust sounds like a closeup frog chorus or the
ocean surf. Though I did record some great humming bird sounds with the
mic positioned a couple feet from a feeder. For more subtle nature
sounds, the self-noise was just too high.

> One way to get a stronger signal is to get the mic closer to the birds
you are recording.  You might try placing it up in the tree pointing to
where the subject bird likes to perch.

> If you can share an example of a recording, it will be easier to
understand the problem and potential for remedy.  soundcloud.com is a
pretty popular free service for sharing sounds.

> John Hartog
> rockscallop.org
>

> --- In  "DIANE" cbbmo@ wrote:
> >
> > Hey Everyone,
> > I am a pianist/composer who is improvising with birds and creating
compositions. I've been recording with a Boss Micro BR, and a Sony Mic
ECMMS907, and there's a lot of hiss in my recordings. I've tried
everything to get the "hiss" out but had no luck.
> > I realize that all of you have been doing this at a high level for
some time...I'm new at this, so any advice you have would be greatly
appreciated.