Re: beginner needs help with recording

Subject: Re: beginner needs help with recording
From: "DIANE"
Date: Fri Jun 8, 2012 3:07 pm ((PDT))
Thank you Greg!All of you are so helpful, I really appreciate it.
I've been reading the posts about the Sony PCM-M10 and I will check out the=
 other links you posted, thank you.
I'm okay with wind etc, it adds to what I'm doing musically, so that doesn'=
t bother me...it's inspiring to create music with the wind and the listenin=
g to the trees and leaves.
Thanks again,
Diane

--- In  Gregory O'Drobinak <=
.> wrote:

> Diane:
>
> The noise is being generated by your mic & recorder preamp, not the batte=
ries.
> Both items create noise due to their construction and the quality of the=

> internal electronics.
> The gear you have is maybe OK for music, but it was not designed for the =
quiet
> sounds of nature recording. Thus, when you increase the gain beyond a cer=
tain
> point, you also amplify the inherent noise in that gear. There is no *goo=
d*
> solution but to replace said gear.
>

> I suggest getting a better recorder, like a Sony PCM-M10, and a better pa=
ir of
> mics.
> There is a wealth of info on the archive of this list regarding the self-=
noise
> of mics & recorders and various solutions to this dilemma, many of which =
that
> are *relatively* low in cost.
>
> You can do a web search for 'mic self noise' or 'recorder self noise' and=
 get
> some good answers as well.
>
> Here's a few links:
> http://naturesound.org/?p=3D116
> http://www.gearslutz.com/board/remote-possibilities-acoustic-music-locati=
on-recording/722756-portable-recorder-low-noise-floor.html