Re: beginner needs help with recording

Subject: Re: beginner needs help with recording
From: "Gregory O'Drobinak" gmo_dunes2
Date: Fri Jun 8, 2012 2:46 pm ((PDT))
Diane:

The noise is being generated by your mic & recorder preamp, not the batteri=
es.
Both items create noise due to their construction and the quality of the
internal electronics.
The gear you have is maybe OK for music, but it was not designed for the qu=
iet
sounds of nature recording. Thus, when you increase the gain beyond a certa=
in
point, you also amplify the inherent noise in that gear. There is no *good*=

solution but to replace said gear.

I suggest getting a better recorder, like a Sony PCM-M10, and a better pair=
 of
mics.
There is a wealth of info on the archive of this list regarding the self-no=
ise
of mics & recorders and various solutions to this dilemma, many of which th=
at
are *relatively* low in cost.

You can do a web search for 'mic self noise' or 'recorder self noise' and g=
et
some good answers as well.

Here's a few links:
http://naturesound.org/?p=3D116
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/remote-possibilities-acoustic-music-location=
-recording/722756-portable-recorder-low-noise-floor.html

http://www.avisoft.com/tutorial_field_recording.htm
http://www.avisoft.com/app_audiorecording.htm
http://bartus.org/akustyk/noise_testing.php

One other thing that will come into play is noise created by the wind and a=
lso
by nearby tree leaves. This requires care in mic placement and wind protect=
ion.

I hope that this helps! Read a lot as I've said, try to=C2=A0understand it =
and then
ask more questions.

Also, see if you can borrow or rent some better gear before you jump in wit=
your pocketbook!

Best regards,

Greg
=C2=A0