Composite detection

Subject: Composite detection
From: "Michael Dalton" mdaltonarielle
Date: Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:28 am ((PDT))
Nature Recordists,
=A0
I have a question related to current audio or video recordings. I am wonder=
ing, with current editing technology, whether it is possible to detect when=
 someone puts together a "composite" recording that did not exist in fact.
=A0
When I was in school there was "fudging" to produce the correct result. Not=
 too long ago a scientist was exposed for cheating in a similar way; that i=
s forcing the data to support=A0his conclusion.
=A0
While I do not participate in such deceptions, it occurred to me that I mig=
ht be accused of doing something like that; i.e., fabricating data.=A0It is=
 unfortunate that I even have to consider the situation, but I want to be p=
repared for potential crusaders.
=A0
Is there any defense against "fabricating data," i.e., slicing unrelated so=
unds together to make them appear to be related? The only thing that I have=
 noted so far is that on a few recordings there are background sounds such =
as a Cardinal chirping in the background that are continuous through my sam=
ples. On the other hand, it is possible to put in such sounds and then edit=
 them closely to make them appear to be part of the clip.
=A0
I'm curious, because I do not wish to be in the camp with people using bogu=
s=A0 data.
=A0
Thanks for the help.
=A0