Re: Wind in the Willow(s) - MX391 Head Spaced Boundary

Subject: Re: Wind in the Willow(s) - MX391 Head Spaced Boundary
From: "tk7859" tk7859
Date: Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:11 pm ((PDT))

 --- In  "robin_parmar_sound" <robin@> wro=
te:

> Tom, all I can say is great work! The demos are nice to hear and the shot=
s of your rig show some ingenuity. Wish I was that clever.

Hi Robin
Thanks for your comments.  I think I should say that all of my DIY mics (wi=
th the exception of the zoomable parabolic) are really copies/development o=
f ideas gleaned from contributors to this Group.  So, many thanks to all wh=
o have stimulated my thoughts and actions via their posts here in the past.=

--- In  "Mike Rooke" <> wrote:

> Mounting in a blimp works well if you have one...
>
> http://www.urlme.net/blog/?p=3D1733

 Thanks for that Mike

I had completely overlooked that the MX391 is, in fact, a Wl183 already mou=
nted on a very small boundary and does therefore might have some boundary e=
ffect benefit as is.  I wonder by what amount the effect is increased by in=
creasing the size of the boundary - to 5 1/2 inches square in my case?

This thought raise a second question.  Will my EM172 capsules  perform in a=
 similar way to the MX391s if I reduce the size of their boundary to say, a=
 3 inch diameter disc.  My limited knowledge suggests they will, but I do n=
ot have the skill or equipment to test this.

I do not have a commercial blimp to follow your ideas with the Rode blimp. =
 However, I have been thinking about getting one because I plan to make som=
e cardioid Alice mics (I bought the makings for them some years ago) and ex=
periment with ORTF and NOS techniques.  Because the bodies will be DIY they=
 can be made quite short and the two mic array should fit nicely in a Rode =
type blimp.

In fact I think I can make a suitable blimp type blimp using some bits I ma=
de some five years ago.  Following ideas generated by Rob Danielson, and Al=
lan Haighton IIRC, I made a ORTF arrangement for two Rode NT1As from plasti=
c pipe.  This was cumbersome and difficult to support satisfactorily even w=
ith a medium duty tripod - it was therefore put to one side.  Looking at it=
 once more it should make a very suitable blimp for small size barrier mics=
 and the longer term Alice mic based ORTF/NOS experiments.

Five photographs have been placed in a "Two into One Blimp" album.  The fir=
st photo shows the components of the original NT1A arrangement.  The second=
, one of the arms with support bands at each end.  The distance between the=
 two sets of rubber bands is 5 1/2 inches. Serendipity?  The third photo sh=
ows the fabric mesh end cap.  The next photo shows the fine fabric first co=
ver, and the last one shows the dead cats (in fact two of them that meet in=
 the middle).

It seems the Alice mic project will have to wait a while.  The photos are h=
ere:

https://picasaweb.google.com/G0SBW.PM/TwoIntoOneBlimp

If any readers think they have stumbled across the Micbuilders Group by mis=
take a nature recording follows.

I went to a nearby wood at about 6pm today.  My plan was to catch the eveni=
ng chorus.  I got chased home before dusk by heavy rain showers but manged =
to record the barks of a Muntjac deer - at least I think thats what it was.=
  Apologies for the traffic and aircraft noise - a fact of life in these pa=
rts I'm afraid.  Here is the recording, made with the hand held EM172 bound=
ary rig and the LS-10.

http://soundcloud.com/g0sbw/muntjac-in-a-noisy-wood

Cheers, TomR