Re: SASS construction/design question

Subject: Re: SASS construction/design question
From: "hartogj" hartogj
Date: Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:39 pm ((PST))
Could make it out of a yoga block, plexiglass, or a metal shingle damped wi=
th rubber or foam.
Might need a right angle headphone plug adapter.

John Hartog
rockscallop.org

--- In  Peter Shute <> wrote:

> Yes, although I think there will be restrictions on what thickness materi=
al is possible because of the close spacing. The position of the earphone j=
ack is also a problem.

oups.com>, Peter Shute <pshute@> wrote:

> > Could placing the internal mics in a pair of "wings" gain any benefit f=
rom a boundary effect? The size of the wings would be limIted by the spacin=
g.

> > Peter Shute
> >

> > --------------------------
> > Sent using BlackBerry
> >
> > ________________________________
> > From: <naturerecordists%40yahoog=
roups.com>
ups.com>
> > Sent: Mon Feb 13 02:18:30 2012
> > Subject: [Nature Recordists] Re: SASS construction/design question
> >

> > <<Do you mean cutting a slot shaped so just the mics protrude? I'd been=
 wondering the same thing and had considered trying it with my M10.
> > I'm not very familiar with the principals involved, but this should res=
ult in increased volume, shouldn't it? Would it also increase directionalit=
y? >>

> > The stereo provided by a SASS array works because it approximates the s=
pacing of the human ears as well as the baffle & boundary effect of the hum=
an head. Placing an M10 in a slot in the front of a SASS array will provide=
 none of those acoustic functions, since the spacing & baffling between mic=
s won't be changed. Probably about the best that could be done to alter the=
 M10 would be to incorporate it into a Jecklin disk array. I have no idea i=
f you would find an improvement in stereo image, but it would be a lot easi=
er to construct.