Re: SASS construction/design question

Subject: Re: SASS construction/design question
From: "Scott Fraser" scottbfraser
Date: Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:18 am ((PST))
<<Do you mean cutting a slot shaped so just the mics protrude? I'd been won=
dering the same thing and had considered trying it with my M10.
I'm not very familiar with the principals involved, but this should result =
in increased volume, shouldn't it? Would it also increase directionality? >=

The stereo provided by a SASS array works because it approximates the spaci=
ng of the human ears as well as the baffle & boundary effect of the human h=
ead. Placing an M10 in a slot in the front of a SASS array will provide non=
e of those acoustic functions, since the spacing & baffling between mics wo=
n't be changed. Probably about the best that could be done to alter the M10=
 would be to incorporate it into a Jecklin disk array. I have no idea if yo=
u would find an improvement in stereo image, but it would be a lot easier t=
o construct.

Scott Fraser