Re: Mono to sterio

Subject: Re: Mono to sterio
From: "Robin" escalation746
Date: Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:53 pm ((PST))
Eric Benjamin

> As an example, suppose I were to=C2=A0go to
> Venezuela and make a series of recordings in the jungle, only to find out=
 when I
> returned home that I had acquired only one channel from my stereo pair.=
=C2=A0 I might
> then go in to the woods locally, record a stereo=C2=A0impulse response in=
 an area
> that is similarly wooded to the original venue.=C2=A0I would then apply t=
hat impulse
> response via convolution.=C2=A0 That would give me a 'stereo' version of =
the original
> mono recording.

Besides the absence of direct signal information from sources arrayed acros=
s the panorama, this would also be lacking the complex amplitude and phase =
information of signals that don't happen to come from exactly zero degrees.=
 The third shortcoming is that motion of sources (a bird in flight) would n=
ot be conveyed.

I have experimented with convolution but would not use it for nature record=
ings in the manner suggested.

-- robinparmar.com