Re: What's everybodies favourite parabolic microphone setup?

Subject: Re: What's everybodies favourite parabolic microphone setup?
From: "Avocet" madl74
Date: Mon Aug 8, 2011 3:53 pm ((PDT))
> Syncing sound later can be a pain in the neck but the sound you
> bring back will be much better if recorded to an audio device. In my
> experience one rarely syncs sound in nature videos anyway.

Marc,

As an ex Film Sound Recordist I have to disagree. There is a world of
difference between sync sound accurate to the frame and "wildtracks".
Both are valid methods and major wildlife films and TV use wildtrack
recordings carefully edited into sync. However, without a sync "guide
track" which may be indifferent quality but in sync, laying a
wildtrack sound to picture is a very skilled and time consuming task.

You wouldn't shoot people talking out of sync so why would anyone try
to get away with wildlife out of sync?

A guide track gives you sync points to lay a second track to instead
of using a clapper board and if there is a drift between an NTSC video
at 29.97 frames and 30 frames playback, for instance, this is made
apparent. However if you can record both separate sound and video sync
and both remain in sync, you can then overlay the separate sound if
you want to bypass a camera automatic record function. BTW the easy
way to do a dual recording is with a radio link to the camera. Record
a voice ident every time you run the camera either at the start or
just before you switch off to save time matching everything up later.

Going back to the original question, I'd use a long gunmic rather than
a parabola - much easier to set up and aim at the coyotes unless you
have someone else to act as recordist. Second hand eBay MKH 816T or
815T mics plus a windgag are affordable plus a T to P adaptor.

David

David Brinicombe
North Devon, UK
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce