Re: xlr cable, long run 100FT

Subject: Re: xlr cable, long run 100FT
From: "Avocet" madl74
Date: Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:56 pm ((PST))
> Anyone else use this?

Mark,

I'll describe my setup. I've got semi-permanent cables 200 metres long
into the woods. They are bright turqoise and left on the surface to
reduce the chance of accidental damage. They are low-cost foil
screened cables, but as they aren't flexed much, they are fine. The
signal quality is high spec for 150 ohm balanced lines and is quoted
at 1 kilometre at a dB or so loss. If a cable is impedance matched,
length won't affect the frequency response.

I solder my own plugs on but I would have thought that it should be
fairly easy to find someone who could put XLR's on a long cable. You
can then choose your length to match.

I wind them up on a garden hose drum which is a fraction of the cost
of purpose made mic drums, even if you chuck the garden hose.

Waterproofing is a worry with expensive mics, but I know from the past
that MKH's will survive rain in a Rycote windgag with a yeti cover,
You can still record with it wet but you'll mainly get rain of course,
which can sound explosive. I've had my pair of 416's out in pouring
rain overnight with no problem but I dried them out slowly so that I
didn't drive damp into the cold mic bodies.

You could try using a tent fly sheet or an open igloo tent to keep the
setup dry, but wind would be noisy. It would change an omni response
but directional mics looking into clear air should do better. Try it
out on a warm sunny day. :-)

I waterproof the XLR's on the mic tails by wrapping them in kitchen
wipes and tying them into a poly bag. If you are using phantom power
you have to keep them dry to avoid tracking, but otherwise XLR's will
survive a soaking.

David

David Brinicombe
North Devon, UK
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce