Re: xlr cable, long run 100FT

Subject: Re: xlr cable, long run 100FT
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:10 pm ((PST))
Hi Mark--

For outdoor permanent installation?

If so, I'd avoid rubber or other soft jacket materials because the
critters love to chew through soft things just for entertainment. I'm
not sure about 100' lengths but you might be able to get PENN 3651
http://tinyurl.com/4oxlste in 250 ft lengths or similar from
Markertek. Look for 4-#22's with shield/ground for a stereo pair.
Knock on vinyl, but I've had over 1400' of this wire exposed to
critters for 2 years without lethal incisor attack. Its basic vinyl
jacket "studio" wire except with 4 conductors.

Do watch to keep out all possible water penetration in the "Y" needed
to break out to the two mics. Tight electric tape wasn't enough for
me. You can cover the splice with a silicone filled wire splice
available at a pro plumbing supply store that sells well pumps. These
sleeves are about 2-3" long and are used for sealing splices in wires
dropped into wells to submersible pumps. Requires a heat gun or
hairdryer.   Rob D.

  = = =