Re: ME66/MKH616 with omni mic

Subject: Re: ME66/MKH616 with omni mic
From: "Avocet" madl74
Date: Tue Feb 8, 2011 12:55 pm ((PST))
> I have looked at both the Sen ME66/K6 and the Sen MKH416. There is
> quite a price difference in these mics. I want to go with quality,
> thats really important to
> me. Is it worth the extra 5-$600 to purchase the MKH416 over the
> ME66 to get what I am looking for?

Mark,

In short, no. Thanks to Mitch for putting me straight on phantom
powering - I haven't had my hands on a ME66/K6, but internal powering
is an
advantage for the ME's over MKH's.

I've used every series of MKH mics since they first came out, but
thankfully only paid for three of them which I have now. They are
robust and put up with all sorts of mistreatment and that it why they
are used by professionals. They use a low voltage AC bias on the
capacitor and don't suffer from fizzle like some other pro mics. The
ME series uses an electret which is better kept dry, but knowing
Sennheiser, it's probably damp proof as well. I've used MKH's with
Rycotes in pouring rain with no problem.

The specs of the two types are almost identical and I would guess that
they sound very similar as the only real difference is the capsule and
Sennheiser know how to get these right. If I didn't already have MKH's
I would buy ME's. I don't go much on response curves as they change
markedly when
you put the mic in a windgag. Ears are a better test.

> Has anyone used one of these mics with an omni mic (say an
> AT4022 or MKH20)?

In my book, omnis are out for nature recording and in fact any field
recording as they pick up too much unwanted sound. They have zero
fetch unless in a parabola or array. I note the comment on using an
out of phase omni as an "S" element, but that doesn't work
theoretically or practically. It's simply not stereo because it can't
place a sound source. I'm a hardliner on this. :-(

The good thing with the MKH406 / ME66 is that they give a good cover
to 20 or 30 degrees either side and vertically, after which they fall
off sharply till you hit small lobes. With luck, you can detect nine
stereo image positions.
(L : 1/2L : C : 1/2R : R and intermediates) They make a good stereo
pair, which the longer versions certainly don't. 416's at 45 degrees
give about a 120 degree stereo view. I've got a MKH816 which is very
limited and has to be favoured accurately. Buy another ME66 instead of
an omni or long gun. Certainly buy two instead of a MKH416. :-)

I've used two MKH416's spaced too wide for a good stereo centre image
and they give excellent coverage for width. You can select and pan
later for a centre image. This is better than a cardioid for noise
rejection as the pickup is narrow vertically. The magic is the narrow
vertical coverage and if you have an absorptive floor like grass or
leaf litter, you can actually point them horizontally or slightly
downwards to lessen wind noise in trees and still pull in birdsong.
It's the bird to noise ratio that counts. :-)

David

David Brinicombe
North Devon, UK
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce