Re: Parallel Boundary Rig with MKH-8020

Subject: Re: Parallel Boundary Rig with MKH-8020
From: "Avocet" madl74
Date: Sun Feb 6, 2011 11:19 am ((PST))
> A last advice needed for the wind protection: I have 2qm of
> artificial fur (from a teddy bear
shop - but nearly the same like original rycote material).

Matthias,

Check out any material by putting it over your head on and off. You
want to reduce the bass frequencies slightly but not the top end.

I invented the original wind sock for the BBC and Rycote took it over,
before using artificial fur. I used brushed acrylan as used for
kiddies romper soits. It's knitted underneath and fluffy on top.

>Is it better to cover the whole rig with
the fur or only the heads of the microphones?

All the way around. Wind doesn't make a noise till it hits something.
Also if there is any acoustic difference through the fabric, it has
less effect. You want to present as rounded a surface to the wind as
possible whatever direction it is coming from.

The reason that artificial fur works is that it parts the wind
smoothly without causing ripples close the mic. Floppy mounts in
particular cause a lot of turbulence and hence wind noise.

David

David Brinicombe
North Devon, UK
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce