Re: Old growth forest reference

Subject: Re: Old growth forest reference
From: "Avocet" madl74
Date: Sun Feb 6, 2011 11:19 am ((PST))
> I have not yet looked into the actual altitudes, but considering I
> usually record at least 200 miles from the nearest major airport,
> these flyovers must be 10 thousand feet or higher(just a guess),

John,

Jets are at a cruising height over me at about 35,000ft or about 10
kilometers. I've got a set of graphs of air absorption at various
frequencies and it comes out as around -10dbs below 200Hz but -70 dBs
down at 1KHz. That's in addition to the drop due to distance. The
distance drop from 100 metres to 10km is another 40dB, say 100
dBA -40dB -70dB at 1KHz. The audibility limit happens somewhere in
between 200 Hz and 1KHz.

That's the theory - the practice is that the jet noise is well down at
bird tweeting frequencies and cars a mile away are more of a problem
here.

I'm fortunate to be mostly under transatlantic flights, but as I said
height is crucial to jet noise.

Concordes used to go subsonic over the Bristol Channel but
occasionally caused a sonic boom which would spook all the pheasants
in the area in unison. :-)

David

David Brinicombe
North Devon, UK
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce