Re: Old growth forest reference

Subject: Re: Old growth forest reference
From: "Paul Jacobson" thebrunswicktwitcher
Date: Sun Feb 6, 2011 2:54 pm ((PST))
On 07/02/2011, at 6:14 AM, Avocet wrote:

> That's the theory - the practice is that the jet noise is well down at
> bird tweeting frequencies and cars a mile away are more of a problem
> here.

I was talking to Andrew Skeoch, who has recently returned from European
recording trip, and he made the observation that the recordings he made in UK
has little content below 1khz, except for the Wood pigeon(?). He played me a
recording he was cleaning up, it was pretty clear that there was little
happening apart from the pigeon in this range allowing for pretty drastic noise
removal measures to be applied below 1khz.  Bird song in Australia, and quite
probably in other regions too, has more content in the sub 1khz region that
makes cleaning up aircraft noise in recordings a more difficult proposition.

Any at very least it's worth bearing in mind that biophony is dependant on
location and techniques which might work well for recordings made in one
location aren't necessarily universally applicable.

cheers
Paul