Re: Parallel Boundary Rig with MKH-8020

Subject: Re: Parallel Boundary Rig with MKH-8020
From: "Mike Rooke" picnet2
Date: Sun Feb 6, 2011 3:06 am ((PST))
A dipole configuration is also possible with matched omni's. Although the
diameter of the diaphragm will affect the point (phase) at which you can no
longer use the intensity difference for directionality. Basically the smaller
the better , but it could work with the MKH-8020's. Ive tested this with the
NT45-O capsules and had very limited success compared to 10mm omni electrets,
the NT4's fixed mic angles didnt help matters there. check the link later in
this message..

Basic configuration:
Set both mics facing forwards and right next to each other, rubber band both if
possible but keep the band away from the front. Record your environment, or a
test room / location. -It will sound very mono due to the coincident mics.

In the DAW:

MS matrix, LR -> MS
In-between these add EQ to boost the left channel (side's) low frequency
response, depends on the mic but at least 10-20dB is needed to around 800hz. -
try to match it with the right if possible and tweak for width.
Another MS matrix MS -> LR

This is intensity shuffling, the chain of EQ may also need some pre-EQ for each
mic if they are not exactly matched, or due to recorder amplifiers being a few
tenths of a dB offset.

This will realize a figure 8 from the (L Omni - R Omni) and a omni from the sum
of both. You can then mix various amounts of the side to set the width of the
recording similar to an MS mic, yet your starting with a very quiet pair of
excellent omni's. -The only downside is that the coverage pattern will be
focused towards the front and perhaps the side coverage will not be as good as
a dedicated figure 8 due to the on axis vs off axis response difference of the
omni's.

My experiment using the NT4 and NT45-O capsules can be found here:-
http://www.urlme.net/blog/?p=1429

And also related using small electrets - this page also shows the EQ needed.
http://www.urlme.net/blog/?p=1277

BR
Mike.