Re: Parallel Boundary Rig with MKH-8020

Subject: Re: Parallel Boundary Rig with MKH-8020
From: "Matthias Eberl"
Date: Sun Feb 6, 2011 8:00 am ((PST))
Thanks to everyone for your comments. It helped me a lot - first of all I
understood that I
should not put too much effort in the first try but rather do some quick 'n'
dirty experiments
and to learn hearing the subtle differences.

So I will skip the jecklin disc for the first try, also because it is too large
to transport
convenient in a city. I enjoyed reading about the dipole experiments, but for
the first and for
the learning I prefer having instant stereo at the location instead of adding
it during post
processing which definitly requires a lot more audio engineering skills than
the average
jounrnalist has. Binaural recordings are very impressive (I did some already
with cheap in-
ear-mics), but as multimedia stories are consumed mainly with speakers, I'm
sadly reduced
to 180 degree soundscapes.

So I will go for some winged rig first and soon after that do a PBB2 for
comparing. The yoga
block looks interesting and I thought about using such a block between the
barriers of the
Winged Olson Rig to make it less heavy.

A last advice needed for the wind protection: I have 2qm of artificial fur
(from a teddy bear
shop - but nearly the same like original rycote material). Is it better to
cover the whole rig with
the fur or only the heads of the microphones?

I will keep you updated with my experiments and of course I will provide the
samples here.

Matthias

Am 6 Feb 2011 um 9:05 hat Curt Olson geschrieben: