Re: Digital links for recording

Subject: Re: Digital links for recording
From: "gweddig" gweddig
Date: Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:40 pm ((PST))
Hi Bruce,
I use AES out of my Grace Lunatec V3 into the SD 744t when doing 4 channel
recordings (for channels 3 & 4).  For stereo recording the SD744t preamps are
used.

I typically try to record everything in 24/96 since I have plenty of storage
space and never know what the future use of the recordings might be.  I do
agree with Scott that the "infinitesimal audible improvements" are probably not
worth the hard drive space but I do it anyway.

I tend not to find much use for 192kHz unless it is something that will be
extensively pitched down and processed.  To me 192kHz is audio marketing scheme
to get you to buy new gear.

Hope this helps,
--greg weddig
http://gregweddig.net

--- In  "natureguyusa" <> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to get an idea how people are using digital S/PIF, AES, and
> TOSLINK inputs and outputs, for recording/playback/editing. I am working on a
> new project design and am trying to figure out what bit rates people use.
> Personally, I only use 48KHz/24bit for recording. What bit rates are you
> using, 44.1Khz, 48KHz, 96KHz, 192KHz, or something else? Would it be horrible
> not to allow the use of 44.1KHz field audio recording?
>
> Thank you,
> Bruce Rutkoski
> www.natureguystudio.com

<*> Your email settings: