Re: Digital links for recording

Subject: Re: Digital links for recording
From: "dannymeltzer" dannymeltzer
Date: Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:46 pm ((PST))
Hey Bruce

I generally record at 24/96.

We are getting to the point that CD is not the commercial format of first c=
hoice, but I don't think we are there yet.  I think CD [16/44.1] is still t=
he primary media and therefore not being able to record at 44.1 might seem =
weird.  But it's not that difficult to downsample in the computer.

I don't really use SPDIF, AES/EBU or Toslink because everything is handled =
'in the box' in my studio setup.  Files remain as data until mastering to f=
ile or CD.

--- In  Danny McCarty <> wrote:

> Hi Bruce,
> For the project I just completed I gathered my source material @ 48/24 be=
cause my Zoom records 4 channels with that setup.
> I would have used a higher rate if I had the tech to do so. I think for t=
he type of distribution I am using ( Blu-Ray & DVD ) 48/24 is fine.
> Most folks are not critical listeners anyway. ;-) I mixed the Zoom record=
ings with material I purchased from others on this forum.
> The final mixes were in 4 channel DTS, Dolby Digital, & PCM stereo.
> There's a sample here:
>
>  http://www.vimeo.com/18196074
>
> DMc
>

> On Jan 27, 2011, at 10:42 AM, natureguyusa wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I would like to get an idea how people are using digital S/PIF, AES, an=
d TOSLINK inputs and outputs, for recording/playback/editing. I am working =
on a new project design and am trying to figure out what bit rates people u=
se. Personally, I only use 48KHz/24bit for recording. What bit rates are yo=
u using, 44.1Khz, 48KHz, 96KHz, 192KHz, or something else? Would it be horr=
ible not to allow the use of 44.1KHz field audio recording?