Re: Inexpensive M/S setup for experimentation?

Subject: Re: Inexpensive M/S setup for experimentation?
From: "Eric Benjamin" ericbenjamin2
Date: Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:30 pm ((PDT))
> Steve Duncan wrote
> the figure-8 mic, which seems to be the hard part

You got that right!

There are a few relatively inexpensive large diaphragm microphones that hav=
e a
Fig8 pattern.  The one that occurs to me off hand is the CAD M179.  It's
typically available for about $200.  But being a large diaphragm microphone=
 it
has relatively poor polar patterns.  On the other hand, the Fig8 pattern is=

always the best pattern on a multi-pattern microphone.

Personally, I'd prefer to use a small diaphragm microphone for the Fig8.  T=
hat
list is short:

Schoeps Mk8
Sennheiser MKH30
Neumann KM120
AKG CK94

The cheapest of these is the CK94 which ran about $820 the last I checked.

Can anyone think of a good, inexpensive, Fig8 condensor microphone?

I guess it's up to you to do it yourself!

Eric