Re: M/S recording setup

Subject: Re: M/S recording setup
From: "Dan Dugan" dandugan_1999
Date: Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:09 pm ((PDT))
What Rob said, except I think it would be clearer to use the term "matrix" =
rather than "encode."

James wrote,

> ...if you mix to stereo in the field, even though you can derive most of =
the non-stereo version in post.  You lose resolution by doing do.  So your =
44100Hz sample is for all intents 22050Hz once you split it apart.  Which i=
sn't as useful when you need to do severe edits like EQ or time adjustments=
 to sync with another device.

I don't understand that. A 44.1KHz stereo interleaved WAV file (also called=
 "poly" because any number of channels can play) splits into two 44.1KHz mo=
no files with no loss. The utility "Interleaver" does this easily. Stereo f=
iles are just as long in playing time but twice as big in storage, because =
they have all the data for two channels.

All my stereo and 4-channel files get split into mono files by Pro Tools wh=
en I load them in for post. No losses.

-Dan