Re: [Nature Recordists] M/S recording setup

Subject: Re: [Nature Recordists] M/S recording setup
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Monday, August 16, 2010, 9:14 PM

=C2=A0

      The use of the term,"X-Y" is confusing me. Do we

mean "L/R"  where L is Mid and Right is Side?

"X-Y" is a type of stereo array.

I agree with Dan it makes a lot of sense in

respect to work-flow to be able to record and

save the recording as playable stereo. In the

past, popular wisdom on this list was to NOT

encode MS in the field (just monitor in M-S when

possible) but we didn't talk about this practice

leading to duplicate "originals" (discrete and

encoded versions) that must be clearly labeled

and ID'd to avoid confusion for future uses. The

chances for confusion become really large if one

records with several different stereo arrays over

time.

The main reasons we suggested to not encode in

the field was the ability to fine tune the stereo

image and adjust the mid and side channels for

separate EQ treatment in post.

As Marianos seems to be suggesting, we can ask,

"Would it be possible to encode the M-S in the

field, and use a mathematically precise plugin

like +Matrix to obtain the Mid and Side discrete

channels _exactly_ as they would be had they not

been encoded?"

The answer appears to be YES if we assume that

the M-S encoding the plug-in "+Matrix" does is

exactly the same as that done by the recorder.

Here's how I got this answer:

A. I made an M-S recording on a 744T without

encoding it (Left=3DMid; Right=3DSide).

B.  I made a simple copy of A at Unity.

C. I made another simple copy of A at Unity

adding +Matrix L/R->MS encoding (simulating

recorder M-S encoding)

D. I made a simple copy of "C" at Unity adding

+Matrix MS->L/R decoding (simulating what would

be done to a recorder-encoded file in post to

restore the Mid and Side channels)

E. I placed B and D in a timeline lined-up sample

by sample and they cancelled each other perfectly

with the phase inverted.

I'd say its highly likely that its safe to encode

MS in the field if your recorder can do it and

then use +Matrix MS->L/R decoding in your sound

editor to access the Mid and Side mics/files

followed by another +Matrix plug in L/R to M-S

mode to adjust stereo image. If you want more

control, you can add an EQ plug between the two

+Matrix plugs in the chain and use the left

channel controls for EQing middle of the stereo

field and the right channel controls for EQing

both sides of the stereo field. Rob D.