Re: M/S recording setup

Subject: Re: M/S recording setup
From: "James Shatto" wwwshadow7
Date: Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:20 pm ((PDT))
It depends on how much time you want to invest.=C2=A0 And drive space.=C2=
=A0 But if you mix to stereo in the field, even though you can derive most =
of the non-stereo version in post.=C2=A0 You lose resolution by doing do.=
=C2=A0 So your 44100Hz sample is for all intents 22050Hz once you split it =
apart.=C2=A0 Which isn't as useful when you need to do severe edits like EQ=
 or time adjustments to sync with another device.

In post I tend to tack on at a minimum a timestamp to the original files.=
=C2=A0 Very useful information that might not be preserved when moving thin=
gs around or making copies.=C2=A0 I also create a little text file with the=
 same name except for the extension and location so I know what I'm dealing=
 with.=C2=A0 The timestamp also proves useful if you happen to accidentally=
 reset the counter on your recorder.=C2=A0 Or have two or more of the same =
brand or device that share different counters and like names.=C2=A0 But I d=
on't have to work with a team so I know how my data is handled and interpre=
ted by me.=C2=A0

Just some notes to hopefully help you keep things straight in post.=C2=A0 S=
ometimes I tack on other identifyers like location or content as well as th=
e timestamp.=C2=A0 Which is mostly a date stamp, YYYYMMDD, and not a full t=
imestamp YYYYMMDDHHmmSSnnn.=C2=A0 And sometimes I'll plop in a new external=
 hard drive even though there's room for more on the existing one, because =
it's a new year, or I'm using a different device now.=C2=A0

The .txt file proves useful because you can search it.=C2=A0 And otherwise =
keep track of the name of the video file that might correspond or other imp=
ortant details of what happened way back when.=C2=A0 But mainly just to kee=
p the sync factor and time jump info for related video.=C2=A0 Always keep t=
he original and the notes.=C2=A0 The rest you can always reproduce later wi=
th good enough notes.=C2=A0 And maybe apply a few new tricks you have learn=
ed since then.

- James