Re: I'm Lost! Need Field Recorder with Good On-board Mics.

Subject: Re: I'm Lost! Need Field Recorder with Good On-board Mics.
From: "Dan Dugan" dandugan_1999
Date: Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:00 pm ((PDT))
> This audio stuff has got me under the rug. I had no idea that I'd ever tr=
y to produce an audio product. The problem I face is producing a finished 2=
0-minute mp3 file at very high quality. I don't know if I need a machine th=
at records only .wav format or also mp3. From what I understand about file =
size, seems to me that a 20-minute .wav would be massive. I'd need to recor=
d 3-4 such 20-minute files in the recorder per session and then use somethi=
ng like Audacity to convert them to mp3. Maybe the Marantz is the way to go=
?

Always record in .wav. MP3 is a distribution medium. After your production =
is completely finished and bounced or mixed down to a master .wav file, the=
n make an MP3 from that for distribution. An MP3 bit rate of 192K or higher=
 will do for "very high quality."

.wav files are big, but just be glad you're not doing video!

-Dan