Re: I'm Lost! Need Field Recorder with Good On-board Mics.

Subject: Re: I'm Lost! Need Field Recorder with Good On-board Mics.
From: "scratchpaws" scratchpaws
Date: Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:24 pm ((PDT))
Oh, John:
You nailed it too.
By the time all you folks work me through this, I can give up those low-pay=
ing lighting gigs and go out as Green Day's sound guy.

Thank you for saving me hours of work on this. That Sony D50 with 4Gb and .=
wav recording may just be the ticket. Of all the lower-end---under $500.00-=
--rigs out there, the D50 may be the way for me to go if the mics are good =
for ambient wilderness sound.

Your answer to my question paved the way over yet another hurtle.

--- In  "hartogj" <> wrote=
:

> > The problem I face is producing a finished 20-minute mp3 file at very h=
igh quality. I don't know if I need a machine that records only .wav format=
 or also mp3. From what I understand about file size, seems to me that a 20=
-minute .wav would be massive. I'd need to record 3-4 such 20-minute files =
in the recorder per session and then use something like Audacity to convert=
 them to mp3.

> Don't worry, those 20 minute recordings will be quite manageable as CD qu=
ality (44.1Khz,16bit).wav files or even 24bit. It would take less than 2GB =
of space on your recorder for the whole project. Seems like most recorders =
ship with at least 2GB these days, and cards to expand on that are inexpens=
ive. Audacity can handle 20 minutes easy. The smaller the file the faster i=
t will load and perform operations. Any platform will have a practical limi=
t, but if you keep individuals source files to less than 1GB I think you wo=
uld be fine on most platforms out there.

> If you will producing your project as CD audio, just make sure your .wav =
files are somewhat less than 80 minute (700MB)limit , as conversion from .w=
av to CD audio seems to increase the file size just a bit. There will likel=
y limits on the size files that can be converted to MP3, but 20 minutes sho=
uld be far below that limit.