Re: Stereo recording with hydrophones

Subject: Re: Stereo recording with hydrophones
From: "Kawika" dkuhn012001
Date: Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:20 pm ((PDT))
Thanks and you're welcome Kevin--I love the fieldcraft part of this work--a=
lways tweaking something. Our two-man kayak has a rudder, so by listening w=
ith headphones I should be able to orient the craft to optimize the stereo =
image.
Aloha,
David
--- In  Kevin Colver <> wrote:

> David,
> Your recording is just what I was hoping to hear.  To my ears there
> was indeed a stereo effect, one whale seemed near center, another more =

> distant to the right.  Also, your fieldcraft tips are the kind of
> pearls that only come from experience, thank you for sharing.
>
> Kevin
>
> On Jul 26, 2010, at 2:37 PM, Kawika wrote:
>
> > Hi folks, I'm sust returning from an intense recording trip in
> > California, hence my tardy response. This message is in response to =

> > a request below from Kevin Colver for stereo whale recordings, and
> > to answer a question from Robb Nichols in message 41547, "I remember =

> > David Kuhn from this group writing about this last winter (northern =

> > hemisphere), though I remember it from the context of the challenges =

> > that the currents provided. Calm, still water is always a blessing
> > to clean
> > hydrophone recordings. David, do you have anything to add?"
> >
> > I have posted a short clip from my Humpback recordings last March
> > (Aquarian Audio xlr phones into phantomn power into Sony pcmd50)
> >
> > http://tinyurl.com/2dwq2jk
> >
> > Since my last time out in a kayak in April, I have devised some
> > improvements to my techniques, for this configuration: hydrophones
> > attached bow and stern (about 16 feet apart), each 10 m cable
> > weighted to keep them from arcing up behind the kayak, hence
> > lessening the water surface noise; a drogue, or sea anchor, like a
> > plastic bucket, to slow the kayak to lessen the noise effects of
> > currents and wind and to keep the craft oriented with wind and
> > current. The recording is inititated before launch, to avoid needing =

> > access to it at sea. Recorder is sealed in a ziplock bag.
> >
> > I'm really looking forward to getting out this next Hawaiian
> > Humpback season (Dec thru Mar), and also to get out in deeper water =

> > for the more pelagic mammals in these waters.
> >
> > Aloha,
> > David

sound is worth a thousand pictures." R. Murray Schafer via Bernie Krause

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: