Re: Recorder comparison please

Subject: Re: Recorder comparison please
From: "vickipowys" vpowys
Date: Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:05 pm ((PDT))
Don,

For a very quick summary:

Sony has slightly better sound (less noise) than the Olympus, both
for built in mics and when using external mic/s.
Sony is larger and heavier than the Olympus.
Sony takes 4 AA batteries that are fiddly to change in the field (so
I'm told).
Olympus takes 2 AA batteries that are very easy to change, even in
total darkness.
Sony has a handy pre-record buffer of 5 seconds, Olympus does not.
Olympus is very easy to use in the field, perhaps more so than the
Sony?  Anyone else care to comment here?
Both will take external mics, given the right adapter cable.
Sony has a better design for a windshield if you are only using built
in mics.  But the Olympus can be adapted if you are inventive.
I own an Olympus and I'm happy with it, I've dropped it three times
and it still works, so seems to be very rugged.

hope this helps,

Vicki