Re: from metadata to archiving

Subject: Re: from metadata to archiving
From: "Raimund" animalsounds
Date: Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:42 am ((PDT))
John Lundsten wrote:

"Time & Geo location seem to me vital to have, but I'm not aware any of any GPS
capable recorders, nor Wi-Fi ones either."
A possibility may be an app running on an PDA, tablet, small PC (possibly
www.fit-pc.com) with GPS. This would log place & time & there would be a "now"
key to log specific time points, possibly a few preloaded Keywords for fast
data entry would be handy."

I believe that geotagging for typical (more or less stationary) stereo
soundscape recording could probably be achieved in a satisfying way by using a
common hand-held GPS receiver. The (limited number of) waypoints could be
manually copied from the GPS receiver log file into some kind of database or
metadata tags.

However, there are applications such as line transect surveys, where it is
essential to have a more integrated and automated GPS position logging.

I therefore recently added such a GPS logging functionality to the
Avisoft-RECORDER software (http://www.avisoft.com/recorder.htm). This software
can manage both the sound recording through a (bus-powered) USB audio interface
and the GPS data logging from a USB or bluetooth GPS mouse. The GPS coordinates
and GPS time are stored both into the .wav file header (using a non-standard
RIFF chunk titled "GPS") and common (sidecar) .kml or .gpx files that can be
easily accessed by GIS applications. Entering comments or (species names as
filename prefixes) is supported by user-defined pick lists that can also be
accessed through keyboard shortcuts (F1...F12).

This system is successfully being used for car surveys on bats.

Regards,
Raimund