Re: from metadata to archiving

Subject: Re: from metadata to archiving
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:03 am ((PDT))
Hi John--
Sorry about my misread.

re:
>http://www.baseheadinc.com/><http://www.baseheadinc.com/>http://www.basehe=
adinc.com/

Maybe one of the other metadata editors will do the job? Basehead
requires Snow Leopard which I can't run on my PPC. Fairly pricey too.

Its good to get a sense of  the "focus" of a contemporary audio file
library like Basehead. I see it as mostly a utility to find a sample
or sound effect quickly.  I've gotten spoiled having photos,
narratives, weather charts, overnight waveform views and other
graphics come-up with sound file records.

Which reminds me, do we need to be thinking about how old stuff get
in the system?  Looser categories, but may a way to go a little
further than dropping a .doc into an undefined field?

As Steve is pointing out, there will be several "classes" in the
needs people have. Folks who make long duration recordings may be
less interested in attaching individual traits to short excerpts and
more interested in seeing the changes and developments over spans of
time. Being able to open up the time line "views"  of whole seasons
and years is doable once a DB is cranked-up.

Recordings have higher degrees of factuality. There's no predicting
what people will mine from them in the future. There's no predicting
what amazing (or limited!) tools they will have.  I hope we don't let
our individual preferences distract us from the goal of the software
combinations that can produce "archive-like" structure for online
access.

For me, the goal is many people looking at a system that many
recordists started using faithfully, 20-30 years _ago_. Bernie and
others got the ball rolling. We can affect the potential of our
varied, "strange" encounters with actual sonic spaces earning
historical significance. Its about momentum. Rob D.