Re: Tascam DR-680 specifications again

Subject: Re: Tascam DR-680 specifications again
From: "Paul Jacobson" thebrunswicktwitcher
Date: Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:58 pm ((PDT))
Hi Raimund,

Thanks for doing the tests and confirming the HPF is in the digital domain.  I
see that Tascam state the limiter is analog but as was suggested this could
indicate peak detection on the digital signal controlling an analog gain
reduction circuit.

I don't think anyone should be too surprised that the DR-680 has been built to
a price point. Portable 8 track recorders have tended to be at the top end of
the market: SD 788T ($5,995), Sonosax MiniR82 ($4,926) and SX-R4 ($6,110), the
6 channel Nagra VI ($8,200), the 10 track Zaxcom Deva Fusion ($7,995) and now
also the Tascam HD-P82 ($5499), and in my opinion this is the kind of gear that
really deserves the epithet "stellar" .  Even so, to be able to engineer a 8
track recorder for under $1,000 and still provide decent preamps is quite an
achievement.

cheers
Paul