Re: Microphones, microphone placement, stereo systems

Subject: Re: Microphones, microphone placement, stereo systems
From: "Scott Fraser" scottbfraser
Date: Mon Apr 5, 2010 8:42 am ((PDT))
<<Don't worry about stereo techniques with directional microphones --
get a good set of onmi-directional mics & record mono, or spaced-omni
or Jecklin disk. And get as close as you can! >>

I'll disagree about not investigating directional mics. Human hearing
is directional. We face what we want to concentrate on & a directional
array can duplicate this sense of giving priority to sounds coming
from a given direction. And bear in mind that omni mics are still
somewhat directional, especially at higher frequencies, so which way
they're pointed DOES matter. Omni & directional mics are just tools in
the kit. They both serve valuable purposes & neither obviates the other.

Scott Fraser