Re: Microphones, microphone placement, stereo systems

Subject: Re: Microphones, microphone placement, stereo systems
From: "Shirane Sanzan" shiranesanzan
Date: Sun Apr 4, 2010 12:32 pm ((PDT))
Steve and Mike, thanks very much for=A0your input.=A0 Both of you got what =
I was driving at, which was: even though=A0I understand there are certain t=
ypes of mics for certain types of recording situations (like using a parabo=
lic mic=A0for recording frogs or birds),=A0there=A0is still a bewildering=
=A0number of options for=A0more general recording situations.=A0 And withou=
t an array of different microphones, shock-mounts, barriers, etc. at=A0my d=
isposal for me to=A0hear the differences, it can be difficult to even know =
where to start.
=A0
> (2) recording faint insect vocalizations in an open field (not focusing o=
n a single insect);
>> I do this sort of thing a lot. Going for ambience I'd do omnis on a para=
llel barrier set up or an A/B set up with slightly larger (0.5-1 m) spacing=
.
=A0
I'm not sure I understand the benefit of using two omnis rather than one in=
 a situation like this, which is why I want to learn more.=A0 I really wish=
 I had some listening examples=A0to hear the difference.
=A0
> (4) recording a nearby=A0train whistle.
>> Sorry... I HATE!!! 'em and wouldn't consider recording them as a result =
of my (irrational) antipathy. Along with airplanes these have messed up a l=
ots of my attempts at recording other things. There are people who do this =
very very well though, so wait to hear from them.
=A0
I'm not too fond of train whistles either, but one of the areas I will be r=
ecording in this summer has a train whose departure whistle forms=A0part of=
 the=A0overall soundscape.=A0 I'm=A0less interested in capturing the train =
whistle itself than capturing the train whistle as heard off in the distanc=
e.=A0 This will be part of a larger sound-portrait of a mountain environmen=
t.=A0
=A0
>> Don't worry about stereo techniques with directional microphones -- get =
a good set of onmi-directional mics & record mono, or spaced-omni or Jeckli=
n disk. And get as close as you can! (Except for the train).
=A0
This seems to reinforce what Steve wrote, but=A0are two=A0omnis really bett=
er=A0than=A0one?=A0 (I had=A0been=A0thinking of purchasing a=A0Sennheiser M=
KH-20, but two would be impossibly expensive.)
=A0
-Shirane