Re: Microphones, microphone placement, stereo systems

Subject: Re: Microphones, microphone placement, stereo systems
From: "Shirane Sanzan" shiranesanzan
Date: Sun Apr 4, 2010 7:53 pm ((PDT))
>> ... but are two omnis really better than one?

> If you want to record stereo live, then two mics
are pretty much a necessity. But if you're happy with
mono, then the bewildering number of options gets
way simpler.
=A0
Sorry for the poorly-phrased question.=A0 I should have asked whether two o=
mnis would really be better than one omni combined with a different type=A0=
of directional mic--like an omni on top of a=A0bidirectional mic to create =
an M-S setup--because=A0of=A0potential=A0time-arrival=A0differences with sp=
aced omnis.=A0 Spaced omnis would also (I'm thinking) require two separate =
shock-mounts, which=A0would mean more to carry into the field.=A0
=A0
I also should have clarified that I had been thinking of getting by recordi=
ng mono with one omni mic and later adding a second mic for stereo.=A0 But =
then=A0that gets back to the issue of A/B vs. M-S or another setup.
=A0
In any event, I appreciate all the responses.=A0=A0They have=A0given me mor=
e to think about!
=A0
-Shirane

sound is worth a thousand pictures." R. Murray Schafer via Bernie Krause

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: