Re: Microphones, microphone placement, stereo systems

Subject: Re: Microphones, microphone placement, stereo systems
From: "Steve Pelikan" pelikan45224
Date: Fri Apr 2, 2010 5:48 pm ((PDT))
Shirane: Fair questions, if complicated! Others will certainly tell you dif=
ferent things but here's my ideas assuming that the goal is a final mix to =
be presented in 2 channels either for speakers in a normal room or through =
headphones.

> (1) recording=A0a few=A0leaves of a single tree being rustled by=A0the wi=
nd;

I'd probably only do this as part of a larger soundscape so I'd put a mic o=
r mics close to some leaves and later mix those results in to a stereo trac=
k. I'd either use 1 omni close to the leaves or a pair in A/B configuration=
 with small separation or an "Olson" parallel boundary set up. Again, close=
 to be mixed in later.

> (2) recording faint insect vocalizations in an open field (not focusing o=
n a single insect);

I do this sort of thing a lot. Going for ambience  I'd do omnis on a parall=
el barrier set up or an A/B set up with slightly larger (0.5-1 m) spacing.

> (3) recording=A0drips of=A0ice melting off a large rock;

As in 1. Closer is better is my thinking. My guess is that all the sound co=
mes from where the water hits something.

> (4) recording a nearby=A0train whistle.

Sorry... I HATE!!! 'em and wouldn't consider recording them as a result of =
my (irrational) antipathy. Along with airplanes these have messed up a lots=
 of my attempts at recording other things. There are people who do this ver=
y very well though, so wait to hear from them.

Certainly my ideas are based on the fact that I know only have omnis to wor=
k with. If I had the microphones I'd certainly consider using a cardioid fo=
r the close micing.

Cheers!

SP