Sony PCM-D50 vs SD 702

Subject: Sony PCM-D50 vs SD 702
From: "Scott Fraser" scottbfraser
Date: Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:49 am ((PDT))
<<I'm new to audio recording. Initially my intention is to record
mostly water such as ocean surf, falls, rapids, rain, though I suspect
I'll be trying to record quieter sounds at some point. For now I would
be converting to mp3. I want good (CD?) quality sound. I assume the
"noise" of the water allows me to get away with lesser quality.>>

Water sound is primarily modulated white noise (along with very random
harmonically unrelated short duration pitches) & as such is extremely
forgiving, especially as regards noise.  I released an album of all
water sounds about 30 years ago consisting of sources recorded on
analog cassette, the Sony TCD5, which was that era's equivalent of the
PCM D50. With judicious studio EQing, noise was completely not an
issue on those tracks. So you really have some leeway.

<<I've been reading and researching for the past couple of weeks. I'm
considering the Sony PCM-D50. From the reviews and sound samples I've
heard, it seems good, though I've read some complaints about the
recorder noise level. Downsides I see are sensitivity to wind and no
phantom power. I would try to get away with using the internal mics.>>

I'm currently using the the internal mics on a Sony PCM D50 for water
recordings & in the last year of recording many hours of rivers,
streams, waves, drizzles, etc on three continents, I can't recall a
single file where I was aware of any intrusive noise from the machine.
It's just the nature of that sound source to cover any noise rather
completely. The mics are very susceptible to wind, so the addition of
a Rycote or similar furry wind gag is essential for any outdoor use.

<<Or I'm looking at the Sound Devices 702. Great sound, phantom power,
more features/options. Downsides I see are bulk/weight of equipment,
cost, more complicated, requires external mics, and battery limits in
the field.>>

All true. For water recording I feel the basic technical requirements
are less stringent, so cost & convenience will probably be the major
factors in deciding between these two devices.

<<I would probably go with the Sony PCM-D50 if I knew it was good
enough. But I don't want to have buyer's regret after a couple of
weeks. Any strong opinions either way? >>

I think you will get very good results with the Sony. It's also
economical enough that you can move upmarket to the SD 702 later
without feeling you've lost substantial funds in the upgrade.

Scott Fraser