Re: Sony PCM questions

Subject: Re: Sony PCM questions
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:08 am ((PDT))
At 3:13 PM +0000 3/19/10, Steven wrote:
>  > The below was first posted yesterday and pertains to the use of
>>  external mics with the M10 and D50. It did not get through for some
>>  reason. Sorry!
>
>Hi Rob,
>I think I just got bitten by the same gremlin - I posted a reply to
>this a while ago, but it seems to have disappeared too...

I have another mistake I can make that also disrupts posts but over
the last few days, I've had delays and two that didn't go through
that I'm pretty sure the problem wasn't on my end. We'll keep
monitoring it.

>Will likely use built-ins a lot - and doing a mix of urban and
>nature (ambience).
>
>I do have Senn 60/30 MS and AT 3031 XY pair, but don't use either
>much now - hope to replace the Senns with a high quality single
>point stereo if I can find the right one..

The BP4025 [X-Y Large Diaphragm 14dB(A) self-noise] has some
qualities I liked in samples Ian Rawes has posted:

Cave:
<http://www.soundsurvey.org.uk/index.php/survey/soundmaps/more/132/35/>http=
://www.soundsurvey.org.uk/index.php/survey/soundmaps/more/132/35/><http://w=
ww.soundsurvey.org.uk/index.php/survey/soundmaps/more/132/35/>http://www.so=
undsurvey.org.uk/index.php/survey/soundmaps/more/132/35/

Crows starting the October dawn chorus:
<http://www.soundsurvey.org.uk/index.php/survey/wildlife/dawn_chorus/124/61=
5/>http://www.soundsurvey.org.uk/index.php/survey/wildlife/dawn_chorus/124/=
615/><http://www.soundsurvey.org.uk/index.php/survey/wildlife/dawn_chorus/1=
24/615/>http://www.soundsurvey.org.uk/index.php/survey/wildlife/dawn_chorus=
/124/615/

Inside a Car Wash:
<http://www.soundsurvey.org.uk/index.php/survey/blog_comments/798/>http://w=
ww.soundsurvey.org.uk/index.php/survey/blog_comments/798/

Requires phantom powering. You could use a Rolls PB224 or Art Phantom
II to get that.

>I definitely agree - since any future mic swapping should be 'cost
>neutral', it's down to the recorder, and for that the D50 fits my
>budget, if it's the best choice

If you don't mind the extra size. Raimund's EIN measurement suggests
to me that one could use mics down to 11-12dB(A) self-noise without
fear of the mic pre introducing noise, at highest gain.

I feel the possible "thin" Hz response we heard from the M10
internals needs to be explored further before conclusions can be
reached. I like good representation of the lowest octaves but many
recordists do not care about them at all. Rob D.