Sony PCM questions

Subject: Sony PCM questions
From: "Steven" unbelievablystupid2002
Date: Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:27 am ((PDT))
Hi folks,

Once again reaching out to the collective wisdom of the group... sorry if t=
his is a bit convoluted.

I'm choosing a new  field recorder, for urban as well as nature recording. =

For 'ultra portable' I have a Yamaha Pocketrak 2G (noisy, no limiter but ve=
ry handy).

For 'transportable',  I have a MixPre and an antique minidisc, with various=
 external pro mics.  So the front end is good, but the minidisc is the weak=
 link.

What's missing is a hand held that's small enough to be (usually) convenien=
t but significantly higher quality than the little Yamaha.

Built in mic quality and low self noise are very important to me for this p=
urpose.  I assume that if I need XLR/Phantom, I would continue to use the M=
ixPre via line in.

I've spent some time going thru the list archives, Raimund's Avisoft site, =
and the Wingfield noise floor examples, among other places, and I think I h=
ave narrowed it down to the Sony D50 or M10.  I prefer the variable pattern=
 of the D50, and prefer the smaller size of the M10....

Question 1:   Based on my needs and present kit, does anyone have any stron=
g recommendations for or against these two?

Question 2:  I notice that the mic self noise of the M10 seems to be lower =
than the D50 (17 vs 20), but the EIN (as measured by Raimund) is a few dB h=
igher.   Can anyone comment on how these measurements would translate into =
real-world differences between the two?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts

Steven