Re: DC power for SD 722

Subject: Re: DC power for SD 722
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:11 pm ((PST))
At 5:34 PM +0000 11/20/09, kjcolver wrote:
>  Greetings All, I'd like to leave my SD 722 on and recording for
>12-24 hour periods. Any suggestions on how to power the SD 722 for
>that long?
>
>Sound Devices say that they don't make a 12 volt DC connector for
>the recorder. Would it work safely to purchase the Hirose connector
>( Digikey.com part number HR1558-ND ) and wire it directly to a
>cigarette lighter power adaptor ( DigiKey part number ZA5077-ND )?

Hi Kevin--

To run the 722 from your cigarette lighter socket/car battery?  Sure.
Maybe add a 10 amp in-line fuse to the cable. A large, fully charged
car battery should take a 24 hour hit and have enough power left to
start the car. There are some more 12 volt options below.

Hirose connector part # HR10-7P4P and HR1559-ND  or  HR100- ND)
Digikey part numbers seem to be correct: http://tinyurl.com/ya3zf9k

As per page 52 of the manual and user reports, best to wire with pins
#2 and #3 so the internal battery is kept fully charged at all times
when an external battery is connected.

Like the Sonic Studios 12xD-Cell pack (BD-12T) that Aaron
recommended, longevity is considerably better if you start with more
than 12 volts (up to 18 volts). For 12 -24 hours, the lightest (6
lbs) and most powerful battery pack might be 15 of these cells
http://tinyurl.com/y8673wj wired in series (18 volts) which will
charge with one of these http://tinyurl.com/yjbuf7p. If you buy the
cells with tabs, you can save the cost of the sled/holders and shape
the pack as you wish. These higher capacity, rechargeable cells are
about half the cost of the BD-12T and you'll save $12 - $20 in
batteries per 12-20 hours of use. There are better chargers you can
buy if the pack starts to take partial charges.

If don't mind carrying an additional 25 pounds the necessary
distance, a 35AH AGM  12 volt battery should get you through 24 hours
in the coldest weather:
http://www.google.com/products?q=3D35Ah+AGM&hl=3Den&aq=3Df
Just charge it with a 2-6 amp car battery charger, make a cable with
the Hirose connector at one end and battery clips at the other. An
in-line 10 amp fuse is a good idea too. This is the most fail proof
solution I know of.

A 20AH 12 volt AGM battery will weigh closer to 13 pounds and should
power the 722 considerably past 12 hours in warm weather.

Rich Peet has literally months of experience with powering a 722 for
long duration recordings if you run into an issue. Rob D.