Re: SONY PCM-M10 noise test

Subject: Re: SONY PCM-M10 noise test
From: "Robin" escalation746
Date: Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:38 pm ((PST))
Compared to the PCM-D50, the PCM-M10 appears to have switched from cardioid=
 to omni pattern microphones. Sony rated those on the PCM-D50 at 20 dB(A) s=
elf-noise and 120 dB max SPL. On the PCM-M10 they are 17 dB(A) self-noise a=
nd 123 dB max SPL.

But there's more. Comparing the frequency plots (which Sony thoughtfully pr=
ovides - kudos!), the old mics were down 5dB at 100Hz and off 4dB before hi=
tting 10KHz. The new mics are only -2dB at 40Hz and carry on to 18KHz befor=
e deviating by 4dB. The plot is not very smooth in the highs, but that's wh=
at I expect from an cheap electret.

I somehow doubt that any other portable recorder has such excellent respons=
e and low self-noise.

An all this for $150 less than the old model. Incredible.

Ref:
http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/cat-audio/cat-recorders/product-PCMD50/
http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/cat-audio/cat-recorders/product-PCMM10%2FB/

I have just updated my articles to include this model:
http://www.theatreofnoise.com/

-- robin