Re: SONY PCM-M10 noise test

Subject: Re: SONY PCM-M10 noise test
From: "Raimund" animalsounds
Date: Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:01 am ((PST))
Hi Michael,

according to my own measurements, the noise floor of the M10 line input is =
approximately -92 dBu(A), measured at the maximum recording level setting (=
position 10) that provides a clipping level of -2 dBu. This confirms the sp=
ecifications provided by SONY, which says that the S/N Ratio should be 87dB=
 or greater.

Subjectively, I can also confirm that the built-in mics of the M10  are ind=
eed quieter than the those of the D50:

http://tinyurl.com/ybrpjan
http://tinyurl.com/yzkopq2

So, I would say that the M10 is a great recorder for its small size and mod=
erate price. I agree with Robin that there is probably no reason to worry a=
bout the fact that the EIN of its microphone input is not superior.

One should always keep in mind that very quiet microphones (such as the Rod=
e NT1A or the Sennheiser MKH's) are usually quite bulky (not to mention the=
 additionally required tripods and windscreens). So, if one needs the lowes=
t possible EIN, then there are already a number of suited recorders availab=
le (Fostex FR-2LE, TASCAM HD-P2 and of course the SoundDevices 7xx series r=
ecorders).

Regards,
Raimund

--- In  Michael Raphael <> wro=