Re: SONY PCM-M10 noise test

Subject: Re: SONY PCM-M10 noise test
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:56 pm ((PST))
At 6:00 PM -0800 11/10/09, Aaron Ximm wrote:

>  > See also
>>
>  >
><http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/naturerecordists/message/38774>http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/naturerecordists/message/38774
>>
>>  --oryoki
>
>I've been meaning to ask Oryoki,
>
>how would the M10 compare to the venerable Sony HiMD recorders in
>terms of noise performance?
>
>As I recall the D50 was on par, but your comment suggests that the M10
>would be a step down, is that correct?
>
>Best,
>aaron

Most folks can detect a "step" in a change of .5 dB, so yes, 3-4
audible steps of increased noise in the pre of the M10 compared to
the D50 and Hi-MD.  I guess this suggests that Sony didn't use the
same pre component in the M10 and D50.

As additional reference, with the gain set at max, I could begin to
detect the input noise of the Hi-MD mic preamp within the self-noise
produced by an MKH-40 mic [rated12dB(A) self-noise and 25 mV/Pa
sensitivity]. The input noise of the M10 (at max gain) is likely to
be quite audible using the same mic. The effectiveness of mics with
lower self-noise would be increasingly degraded.

I'm happy that the M10's noise performance is better than the LS-10's
but I'm sure I'm not alone in wishing it was up to Hi-MD standards or
an improvement. Its neat that it makes super long recordings on the
built-in batteries, accepts common media cards and provides
straight-forward file transferring but the D50 looks to have a
quality edge for quiet location recording as Oryoki surmised.
Excellent perceptual judging Oryoki! Maybe Sony kept the available
gain in the M10 around 75dB which would be another plus.

Thanks for the much-awaited measurement Raimund! Rob D.