Re: FR2 vs FR2-LE

Subject: Re: FR2 vs FR2-LE
From: "Max Catterwell" oatcruncher
Date: Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:41 pm ((PDT))
Hi Rob; good to hear from you!
Many thanks again for this extra input. I only have two pairs of mics at pr=
esent; AT3032's and K6/ME66's. From what you're saying I think(the brandy I=
 had earlier is clouding things a little), it would appear that when using =
the AT3032's I probably wouldn't notice any difference with either recorder=
, and it would be a border line case with the K6/ME66 combo? In which case =
it will just be down to which recorder I prefer for other reasons.
I very much appreciate your offer of providing feedback on a couple of exce=
rpts, but is there any point in me doing this now, considering the mics I'm=
 using? If there is, can you clarify one point; by full gain do you mean mi=
c gains, and recording level set to maximum? Or do you mean just mic gains =
set to maximum and then use a specified recording level?

All the best
Max

--- In  "Rob Danielson" <> wrote:

> Hi Max--
> John Lundsten measured the input noise on his FR2 as -122.1 dBu which str=
uck me as surprisingly high. See http://www.uwm.edu/~type/audio-reports/Rec=
orderList/RecorderList.htm

> If this figure is an accurate reference, at -129dBu, the FR2-LE should be=
 audibly quieter when used with mics with 10 dB(A) self-noise or lower and =
the recorder's gain is set near or at full.

> If you'll be using mics with 16 dB(A) or more self-noise, there's a good =
chance you'll probaly not be able to detect the noise difference in the rec=
orders' preamps.

> Should you plan to use the FR2 with mics with 10 dB(A) or lower self-nois=
e, you can get a practical answer by recording empty presence or room tone =
of a quiet location with the recorders set at full gain. Record 10 minute t=
akes to improve chances of uniformity in the background sound. Make a 3-5 s=
econd excerpt from the quietest section of each recording. Post the 2 clips=
 and one of use will match playback level and provide some feedback. Rob D.