Re: FR2 vs FR2-LE

Subject: Re: FR2 vs FR2-LE
From: "Max Catterwell" oatcruncher
Date: Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:55 am ((PDT))
Many thanks for this Danny; I appreciate your input.
All the best
Max

--- In  "Danny Meltzer" <>=
 wrote:

> I used the FR2 for a few years and liked it.  That said, I do believe Fos=
tex claimed improved preamps on the FR2-LE which came out after the FR2.  I=
 have not done a comparison, but I used the FR2 for nature recording with g=
reat results.  Main issues for me were storage and battery life.

> --- In  "Max Catterwell" <maxcatterwell@=
> wrote:
> >
> > On an impulse last week I bought an FR2, thinking it would produce a be=
tter result than my FR2-LE. Without having done any serious testing, but ha=
ving done quite a bit of net reading, I'm beginning to wonder if I wasted m=
y money. From a quick test I've just done (not particularly scientific) it =
appears that the FR2 has slightly more gain, which was one of the things I'=
d hoped for, and certainly the gain adjusters are a lot more friendly and u=
nlikely to be moved. The weight and battery life is of no big concern to me=
, and I also like the solidity of the FR2.
> > All this having been said, I've read of people who prefer the FR2-LE ov=
er the FR2 for nature recording. Is this just personal preference or are th=
ere any definite pros and cons to one or the other from a SOUND QUALITY poi=
nt of view?
> > I would be interested to hear any views on this, particularly of course=
 from someone who has experience of both.