Re: FR2 vs FR2-LE

Subject: Re: FR2 vs FR2-LE
From: "oryoki2000" oryoki2000
Date: Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:22 am ((PDT))
The FR2 was introduced in 2004, the FR2-LE in 2006.  I think the FR-2 was d=
esigned for the audio engineer working on a movie set, while the FR2-LE tar=
get market was (and is) electronic news gathering.

The FR-2LE is a stripped-down version of the FR-2.  The FR2 includes digita=
l input and output, a hard drive, 24/192 quantization, a 10 second pre-roll=
 buffer, and more controls for settings so the software menu system doesn't=
 need to be accessed as much.  These features are missing or reduced in the=
 FR-2LE.

The FR-2LE has the ability to use a longer-lasting battery.  The FR2 eats b=
atteries like there is no tomorrow, so this is an important change if you'r=
e in the field covering stories for TV or radio news.

To my ear, the FR2 and FR-2LE preamps sound the same.  Fostex doesn't say i=
f they are identical.

--oryoki