Re: Equalizing, and Wave Editor?

Subject: Re: Equalizing, and Wave Editor?
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:14 am ((PDT))
At 12:50 PM +0000 4/26/09, justinasia wrote:
>  > Due to the issues ive had with wave editor Im glad Rob posted the
>link to Amadeus Pro! Another candidate to try...
>>
>>  BR,
>>  Mike.
>
>Thanks guys. But what about converting 24 bit files to 16 bit?

In most cases, I think this is an example of "phantom" quality differences. :-)

If you keep the file saturation level relatively high as you process
your 16 or 24 bit field recordings and master them in 24 bits, there
really shouldn't be any levels low enough in your files to benefit
from dithering. Its is good practice to make long fade ins/outs from
silence during the very last step as you burn your CD's, output mp3's
etc. This use is when dithering can be noticeable,.. but you might be
surprised if you make a quick A/B test to hear the difference.

>I thought one of the special things about Wave Editor was that it
>had a good way to dither and convert to 16 bit quietly. I searched
>the Amadeus Pro manual (and their site) for "dither" and found
>nothing. So can it not dither? Does that mean we need to buy
>something else (Wave Editor?) to use as well as Amadeus Pro, or, is
>it another case of getting a plugin?

Yes! There's a free one in the MDA plug package:
http://mda.smartelectronix.com/effects.htm
(Tip from Kim Cascone)

>Glad you like the tree rig. It's extremely light. I also just tested
>it in quite a reasonable breeze, and was happy to discover the
>speaker cloth is enough to stop the wind noise, without even the
>little black foam covers on the end of the mics - so that lets the
>mics lay flat against the wood, maximizing the boundary effect.

Interesting mounting approach! You might get a little reflection from
the tree bark but the tree's curving surface should minimize negative
effects. I too shy towards trees for the the additional protection
but sometimes there doesn't happen to be a tree in the sweet spot
you've located. Depending on the terrain, 15 feet in any direction
can make make a surprising difference even in spaces that seem quite
wide and open.

I don't think there's any need for the foam and the exterior fabric. Rob D.

Its pretty unusual for the upper mid/high range boost of the
boundaries to present excessive high frequencies. If you want to send
me a sample, off-list, I'll take a look at it and respond in my blog.
Rob D.