Re: Cable adapter question - answer

Subject: Re: Cable adapter question - answer
From: "Scott Fraser" scottbfraser
Date: Thu Apr 9, 2009 9:54 am ((PDT))
<<My understanding is that the shield is left off to avoid ground
loops and hum etc. (I could be wrong though) and since a microphone is
basically a 'floating' device (ie it's at the end of the line) hum and
ground loops are not a problem. I think the article cited is in
relation to interconnects between hardware.>>

The shield (pin 1) must be connected on a microphone cable. There are
no ground loops with a microphone, but more importantly, any condenser
mic utilizing Phantom power requires all 3 conductors to be connected
in order to receive power.  48volts (positive) is sent equally on pins
2 & 3, and returns on pin 1, the shield. When using a Phantom powered
mic into an unbalanced preamp, the output of the in-line Phantom power
supply must be balanced through a transformer before hitting the
unbalanced preamp input.

Scott Fraser