Re: Cable adapter question - answer

Subject: Re: Cable adapter question - answer
From: "Scott Fraser" scottbfraser
Date: Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:15 am ((PDT))
<<While what you have said above will definitely work, with many
(perhaps most) microphones on the market today, you can unbalance the
line through capacitors and use an unbalanced input. Not all
microphones are guaranteed to work, but in my experience, many do.
Mics with output transformers and mics with impedance balanced
outputs will work for sure.>>

Hi Richard:
I knew somebody would probably have an update for this. My learning
experience with this arrangement (Mics > Neumann Phantom power supply
 > ReVox A77 unbalanced mic preamps,) took place about 30 years ago
while setting up to record Vietnamese Buddhist Monks chanting in their
monastery. No go until I procured a set of Shure balanced low Z to
unbalanced high Z transformers, to go between the power supply & the
ReVox inputs. I assume the XLR-TRS adaptors I tried first tied pins 1
& 3 together, thus bringing the Phantom voltage to ground & the
session to a temporary halt. With capacitors are you blocking the 48
volts on the output side of the Phantom PSU?

Scott Fraser

sound is worth a thousand pictures." R. Murray Schafer via Bernie Krause

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: